Kriya Birth Doula Certification
The Kriya Birth Doula Certification is a unique program for those aspiring to work with families in their birthing time. This program provides evidence-based information, coupled with the unique mind-body approach to birth that Kriya Birth Institute is committed to.
Perfect for if you want:
How it Works
Birth Doula Certification Process
Request a Packet
Enroll and complete any one of the Kriya Birth Institute’s Birth Doula training programs.
The full list of required independent learning requirements are listed out below.
Before certification, you must provide labor support to 2 women and their partners or families.
Get Started Now
We’d love to help you on your way to becoming a certified (or re-certified) Doula. Contact us to get started or with any questions!
Frequently Asked Questions
Required Reading or Viewing
A list of books and videos can be found in the Certification Packet. These must be read, or viewed and a short review must be submitted with your application for certification.
Breastfeeding Education Requirement
Attend a class Breastfeeding education class. A class local to you is preferred, but some online programs are accepted. If attending a local class please look for the most comprehensive class in your area. For acceptable online classes please contact us.
*CLC or IBCLC’s with current certification can send proof of certification in place of this requirement.
Childbirth Education Requirement
Any one of the following options is accepted:
- Certification as a Childbirth Educator (Certification must be current at the time of application).
- Recent experience in labor in delivery as a registered nurse or a midwife. (Proof of experience within the last 2 year is required).
- Observation of a Childbirth Education Class taught at a local hospital or birth center. (This must be taken within 12 months of applying for certification).
*Class instruction time must be at least 10 hours and you must attend the entire series.
*The class must be taught by a Certified Childbirth Educator, Registered Nurse or Midwife.
*An evaluation must be completed and signed by the instructor (Evaluation form is provided in the certification packet).
Certification through Kriya Birth is good for 3 years from the date of initial certification. To continue certification, you must reapply before the date of expiration.
- Letter of intent to continue certification as a birth doula. Your letter should include a brief summary of your experience as a doula and a few points about what you have learned in the past few years.
- Proof of attendance at a minimum of 10 continuing education hours/units in the areas of birth, labor support or breastfeeding.
- Two letters of recommendation from families you have supported in the past three years.
*If extenuating circumstances exist, some of the CEU requirements can be met through reading, or research. If you intend to ask for consideration of this be sure to do this with plenty of time to do the assignments BEFORE your current certification expires.
We offer a fast track program specifically for Doulas who are practicing and not yet certified, or who have been previously certified but their certification has lapsed you. If you’re looking for an organization to recognize your current skills and education then look no further. We will honor your education and experience.
Applications for the fast track program are reviewed on a case by case basis by our board of instructors. If you are approved, you will receive a welcome invitation with instructions on how to complete the process. If you are denied, you will receive a call from one of our instructors so we can answer any questions or discuss your concerns.
Applications are considered thoughtfully as we understand there are many roads that lead to becoming a Doula. In general we’re looking for the following things:
- Evidence of your understanding of birth and labor support
- Good communication skills
- Attendance at a minimum of 5 births in some form of labor support
- A passion for this work and a desire to be an active part of the Doula community.
Kriya Birth is here to support all Doulas in any way we can. If you are been practicing without certification but see the value of a supportive professional community, we want to hear from you! All Doulas deserve a place to feel a part of, where they’re supported, strengthened and encouraged. We want to be that place for you. Contact us today for an application.